BAAS has the privilege of partnering with several international adoption agencies accredited by the Colombian government to complete adoptions. Each of these agencies has a strong presence in Colombia, supporting orphanages and contributing humanitarian aid to support children and families in many parts of this country. BAAS is also in the process of re-accreditation with the central authorities of ICBF in Bogota.
TYPES OF CHILDREN
Colombian children waiting for permanent loving homes are well cared for as they wait to be matched with their forever families. While waiting for placement, children are cared for in foster care centers, private baby care homes, or local orphanages
All the children who are available for adoption are examined and tested for HIV, Hepatitis B, and tuberculosis prior to being matched and referred to a family. Parents will receive biographical and medical information on a referred child. Characteristics of children available include:
- Children 12 months old and above.
- Children with special needs - the most common special needs include cleft palate and lip, albinism, congenital heart disease, and hepatitis B.
- Older children, ages 3 years and above.
- Sibling groups
The age criterea listed below is slightly different for Colombian Americans. Please call our central office for more details.
- Applicants must be between 25 and 55 years old to adopt from Colombia.
- Adoptive parents (ranging 25-39) can adopt a child 6 months to 25 months old
- Adoptive parents (ranging 39-41) can adopt a child 36 to 59 months old
- Adoptive parents (ranging 42-45) can adopt a child 60 to 83 months old
- Applicants must be in good health and be able to show sufficient income to parent the child.
At present, the entire adoption process usually takes approximately 24-36 months. The first 6 months of the process involves completing the homestudy, receiving USCIS clearance, and gathering and notarizing documents required by the Colombian government. The referral time frame, once a family is paperwork ready, is 6 to 36 months for referral. Please note, some children may be available for immediate referral who have specific needs. Once a child has been assigned, the family is expected to travel to Colombia. The stay in Colombia is 4 - 8 weeks, depending on region. Currently time between accepting referral and travel to Colombia is 5-9 weeks.
ROLE OF PARTNERING AGENCY
The partner agency (also known as the liaison agency) will translate your documents, forward your dossier to Colombia and monitor its progress. Once your dossier has been reviewed and approved, you will be placed on the waiting list for a referral. The partnering agency will inform you when you have been matched with a child.
Both parents must travel if married. Stay in Colombia is determined by the region where the child has been living and has been identifed for adoption. Longer stays in Bogota. Parents should anticipate a 4-8 week stay before adoption is finalized.
(Note: there is no fee for the application and process through
BAAS FEE: - $5000
PARTNERING AGENCY FEES (Varies - approx. $16,000):
- Registration & Pre-adopt class
- Paperwork assistance, including dossier preparation and USCIS filing
- Overseas program consultation and liason agency coordination
- 5 post placement visits -- done at the first month, 3rd, 9th, 15th, and 21st month after arrival
- Assistance in finalizing the adoption and obtaining a California birth certificate for the child, certificate of citizenship, and any other post-adoption paperwork
- Service Fees
The service fee covers all case management, liaison work with the home study agency, (BAAS) dossier translation, and early preparation for adopting from Ethiopia.
- Program Fees
These fees are directly related to the Colombian adoption program and the administration of this program. A portion of the program fee covers non-travel related fees within the country. The liaison agencies support orphaned Colombian children through their humanitarian aid projects, which include but are not limited to, the following: medical help and classes for children with disabilities; educational assistance and scholarships to the children in the orphanages.
- Additional Fees can include airfare roundtrip to Colombia. Stay in country.
MISCELLANEOUS FEES- $1000 - $2500
INTERNAL TRAVEL IN COLOMBIA (Approximately $130 per person per day):
- USCIS filing fee
- Procurement of documents (i.e., birth & marriage certificates,
- Photocopying of documents
- Notary fees
- Certification & Authentication of official documents
- Court filing fees
- Includes hotel accommodation
- Food, various expenses
- Internal travel during full stay in Colombia.
AIRFARE TO COLOMBIA (VARIES)
Approximately $1000 - $1500 per person roundtrip. This varies depending
on dates, airlines, and departing location.
Generally speaking, the entire cost of completing an adoption
in Colombia is approximately $27,000, including the BAAS fee,
the Liaison agency fee (including all adoption processing in Colombia)
- Please note that this information is subject to change without notice as changes occur in government/country regulations and/or adoption procedures. For the latest information, please call BAAS directly.